Thursday, January 19, 2012

Silk as a Base Layer for Snowboarding?

I have several different types of base layers along with Silk thermals. Should I wear the silk layer first or over other base layers. I just want to make sure I'll be warm.

The other layers I have are

Top: Helly Hansen 100% Polyprpylene

Ebtek 100% Polyester



Bottoms: Chili Peper thermal pants 100% polyester..



What is better the Silk under or over.

I know cotton is not good to wear...but does silk fall in the same category..Silk as a Base Layer for Snowboarding?
Silk is the best base layer. You should definitely start with the silk, move on to a long sleeve crew, (or turtleneck...yuck), and then a good fleece or sweater. You can probably skip the fleece for the lower body, if you have a good insulated pant. Your legs will be less likely to be cold since you're using them the most. I wouldn't suggest silk thermals and polyester thermals together. It's unnecessary, and will just be uncomfortable after a while. Silk is the best, always stick to natural fibers whenever possible.



Haven't you ever heard the legend of New York City police officers wearing silk pantyhose under their uniforms? That's why!Silk as a Base Layer for Snowboarding?
I haven't heard anything that would suggest silk is a bad idea on the slopes.



If they're comfortable and you like them go for it. They're light weight and can be pretty warm. If you're at a resort you could always stash regular polypro (which is what I wear) in your locker and swap out if the silk isn't feeling so good.



Depending on how cold it is where you're going I'd wear silk thermals then fleece then wind/waterproof outerwear. You don't need to double up on long johns!
  • carolina skiff
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment